We are blessed in Fremont County to have a wide variety of outdoor activities that we can enjoy. One of the most notable however is the Arkansas River, beautiful and great for activities like swimming, rafting and fishing. However as with any water there are dangers that must be considered before jumping in on a hot day. Here are some tips to remember:
- Always Respect the water, it is more powerful then most people think.
- Always wear a Personal Flotation Device (PFD or Life jacket).
- Helmets and appropriate protective gear for your activities.
- Check your equipment, make sure it’s in good condition and repair or replace anything that isn’t.
- Understand moving water.
- Check the flow of the river (Cubic Feet Per Second) for safe/unsafe conditions.
- Reach out to Royal Gorge RIO for additional information.
- Listen to any warning from officials.